Aug 18, 2005

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Following the example set by a friend, I have decided to obsess on work done a long time ago.

Quite aways back, I did some work for Marvel, before Photoshop became all the rage. Before Photoshop was even Photoshop - does anyone remember ImageStudio and ColorStudio? I did a few coloring jobs. Fun to do, nothing I could earn a living off of but, certainly a goal I had set for myself had been met after a fashion (working in comics in some capacity).

So, if you see these issues, you can pick apart my work.

The first job came out horribly, the result of a misreading of some color codes. The second job, I could actually live with. My only regret was when I met Marshall Rogers (the penciler on the job) recently, he didn’t have any of the originals from that story left and also that I didn’t pursue the coloring work a bit more.

I’ve toyed with the idea of doing coloring in Photoshop (working up some new samples) - it’s certainly a lot easier (Photoshop coloring) in some respects than working with the old Dr. Martin’s dyes was but, coloring has changed so much. Now colorists, instead of coloring a job and setting the mood, feel compelled to go in and work the artwork excessively - it’s sometimes akin to watching The League of Frustrated Pencillers. There are a few who do it well and understand what coloring is about but, there are quite a few more that somehow think modeling three figures in a small panel on a page somehow enhances a job (instead of muddying it up).

I’m thinking about starting a little side project titled ‘When bad colorists happen to good art.’ There’s some decent fodder there for Kevin Smith if he ever decides to do a sequel to Chasing Amy.

The first job:


and the second:

No comments: